Customs and Airport Information
Import regulations of Nepal.
- tobacco not exceeding 250 grams (equiv. to 250 cigarettes);
- whisky/wine not exceeding 1.15 liters or beer up to 12 cans;
- cloths and goods for personal use;
- medicine not exceeding NPR 1000.-;
- fruits or canned food not exceeding NPR 1000.-.
- Free export of personal effects previously imported and declared by the passenger. Passengers who want to export antiquities or curios are advised to consult the Curator of the Nepal Museum in Kathmandu whether or not export it is allowed. For the export of such articles also a clearance certificate from the Customs is necessary.
- Cats and dogs must be accompanied by a veterinarian health and rabies certificate.
- Baggage Clearance regulations::
- Baggage is cleared at the airport of Kathmandu, Tribhuvan International Airport in Nepal upon arrival and departure.
Airport Embarkation Tax
Airport Tax is levied on passengers embarking in Nepal for:
Domestic flights at:
Bhadrapur, Bhairahawa, Biratnagar, Jomsom, Kathmandu, Lukla, Meghauly, Nepalgunj, Pokhara and Simara
Bharatpur, Dang, Dhangadhi, Janakpur, Mahendra Nagar, Rajbiraj, Surkhet and Tikapur:
International flights to:
Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Pakistan or Sri Lanka: NPR 791.-.
Other countries: NPR 1,130.-.-
Place of payment: Airport of departure.
- Children under 2 years.
- Holders of diplomatic passports.
- Tourism Service Fee is levied on all foreign nationals embarking at Kathmandu: NPR 565.-.
- Place of payment: Airport of departure.
Currency Import regulations:
Local currency (Nepalese Rupee-NPR) and Indian currency: nationals of Nepal and India: unlimited and in small denominations.
Other nationalities: foreign currencies exceeding USD 2000.- must be declared.
Currency Export regulations:
Local currency (Nepalese Rupee-NPR) and foreign currencies: up to the amounts imported and declared. Only ten per cent of the amount exchanged into local currency will be re-exchanged into foreign currency at the airport upon departure.